Saturday, July 16, 2011

July 14th

Two officers picked up

a drunk Indian

I should go see my daughter, eh?

You gonna take the greyhound? She asked

Nah. I was hopin’ you could

                drive me.  I have no money,

                Ya know?

I s’pose it’d be good to get away, she said.

                Ya don’t know how much this means.

Dropped him ten miles out of town.

Told him, “walk home, the air

 will sober you up a bit.”

Her friend put her bag

in the truck box

and stopped.

Her friend faced her

and held out her

Hand.

                Here.  This is for you.

I can’t take this!

                I want you to have it.

                As a thank you, ya know?

She took the locket from

the outstretched hand.

40 below.

Midnight.

They saw the daughter.

It was a good visit.

When it was time to go her

friend hugged her daughter

like she didn’t want to let go.

And gave her the gold

earrings she wore.

He went 3 miles.

No coat.

The drive home was long and

Quiet.

Darkness crept up on the

long ribbon-highway.

The engine began to steam

and she pulled

the sputtering truck to the shoulder

They were put on paid leave.

Found not guilty.

                Shit, eh? Her friend said.

She popped the hood

and they got out.

She propped up the hood and

out of the corner of her eye

she saw bright lights

and her friend’s

silhouette on the yellow

line.

“It was just a drunk indian”

Blaring horn and

sneaker tumbling

a graceful ballet

to land at her

feet.      

 They were not innocent.

No comments:

Post a Comment